Wednesday, October 9, 2013

'Gravity' (2013)



Even if inside you feel you want to die, there's a bigger life impulse that keeps us alive. 
(Alfonso Cuaron)

OK. 
I might as well write it all down, while my nausea has not worn off. 
Well, actually it is not from the movie, yet some form of sudden mild vertigo came to me. 
YET, this dizziness (and any mention of any planet names) actually brings me back to that 120 minutes of pure elevated, out of this world ride that is Gravity. 



First thing first, I do need to warn you that for many people (like my husband), the movie, especially seen in a gigantic IMAX screen with just as overwhelming 3D glasses, would cause some kind of motion sickness. He said it was similar to a Disney ride that made him sick the morning after. I don't know, actually, there was no actual motion, but such great advance and motion (pun!!) picture has made us viewers felt all the damn nausea. Vision sickness? 

I am no hardcore movie buff, but in my the few excursions to the movies, I try to keep it to the real essentials. Like this one. 

halfway through the movie (about the time of that symbolic Sandra inside a womb shot), I slowly realized this movie has nothing to do (despite being visually accurate) with outer space journeys, and more about self existence. 

It most of the time makes you wonder, what the fuck, would you do? 
Gravity brings you the horror of being adrift and being completely lost, in space. 
Probably that idea, of being completely lost and unattached from something you are familiar with,  has been cultivated more than plenty of times before, but Gravity happened to serve it in a way more gripping and out of the world way. It just tugs you right from the very beginning, you feel like you should have worn some kind of safety belt or some sort. 

If I like war movies because it makes me feel super grateful not to have been born or live in a war condition, then space movie makes me feel absolutely grateful that I am living, walking, breathing (the ever thinning) earth atmosphere's, and being held steadily by its frequently overlooked gravity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment